Being originally from Northern Nevada, I spent so many weekends up in Lake Tahoe, Winters and Summers! My husband and I disagree on the best time to go, I’m a Winter fan (see every previous blog for evidence of my hatred of heat), and he is all about the Summer. Since, I am the one with the blog, I am writing about Winter so there! But, actually, most of my favorite spots will be great no matter the season. Look for the (DF) next to the places that are dog friendly! Please Note: It can get VERY cold in Lake Tahoe and if you are lounging around in the village, get your little fur ball a coat and carry a blanket. We have a Golden Retriever and she has a full coat and blanket to keep her warm. Much to her dismay…
- Avalon Lodge (DF): This is by far the cutest place we have stayed at with Stella. It doesn’t look like much on the outside but the rooms are so cozy! Each has a fireplace and, if you bring a pup, it comes with all the amenities for them! Stella is all about that. It has an incredible location a few blocks from Heavenly Village or the Lake each way. Tip: If you are like my husband and like the Summer, sneak down to the lake at night with a bottle of wine and let your pup run wild. Just clean up after them! You didn’t hear it from me…
- Marriott Timber Lodge or Grand Vacation: We are admittedly Marriott people. Everywhere we go, we try to stay at a Marriott. We haven’t stayed here in awhile since they are not dog friendly but if you are not tied down by a fur child, it’s a wonderful place to stay! They have rooms for 2-a ton so it’s a perfect place for a group trip! You can expect all the great amenities you usually get at a Marriott Brand. It’s also RIGHT in Heavenly Village, next to the Casinos, Lake Tahoe Blvd, everything you’d need for a ski vacation.
- BaseCamp Tahoe (DF): This is definitely a hotel that is geared towards skiiers and snowboarders that aren’t spending too much time in their hotel but we decided to give it a try on our most recent trip. The amenities in the room are pretty sparse (although there is a fridge and microwave which is a life saver!). We only really realized this because the last time we were there, it was in the low 20’s and we spent a lot more time in our room than out in the village. What it lacks in room amenities, it totally makes up for in other areas. There is a brewery on site serving some great beer and snacks, as well as a lobby that we escaped to with Stella for a glass of wine, fire and build your own hot cocoa bar! Looking at the pictures of the non dog friendly rooms, I think this would be a lot cooler without a dog!
Note on Accommodations: The city of South Lake has banned most Airbnb’s so be careful when renting from someone else. You could end up with a MAJOR parking ticket!
- Driftwood Café (DF Patio): This is your usual adorable breakfast place with a few 2 person tables outside on the far side of Heavenly Village (near the Raleys shopping center). They’ve got some great egg dishes like benedict and omelettes, as well as pancakes, waffles…the usual breakfast options. If you like it, you can head there for a great lunch of homemade soup and sandwiches too!
- Creative Crepes (DF Patio): We just tried this cute little place for the first time and it will now be a staple! I am a sucker for crepes and they were awesome about letting me customize my own with eggs, mozzarella, tomato and spinach. Same with my picky husband! It was super quick, they’ve got a huge expresso machine for any fancy drink you want and, of course, various mimosas! This is on the second floor of Heavenly Village closest to the Casinos, look for the black and white sign!
- Dragonfly Bagels: This place was SUCH a random find but so glad I found it! Last time we were leaving, all I wanted was a bagel sandwich and nothing was going to stop me. I yelped it and found this place tucked away inside the adorable Black Bear Lodge on Ski Run Blvd. When you walk in, turn right and you will order right where you check in! They have a list of the bagels they have in the back that they keep careful track of since they are all homemade and once they’re gone, they’re gone! I got an egg sandwich on Everything and Luke just got an Everything with Smear. We got it to go so we could hit the road but it had a super cute little dining room. My next to-do is to find a time to stay as a guest at the lodge. It was THAT CUTE!
Lunch and Dinner
- Azul Latin Kitchen (DF Patio): This is by far my favorite place to go in Heavenly Village for one reason, they understand the NEED for hot cocktails…welcome to the Tijuana Toddy. It’s the best hot cocktail I have ever had and if you are freezing out with a dog in the village, it’s a need, not a want. It’s apple and cinnamon infused tequila, fresh lemon and lime juice, agave and cinnamon. You’ll die it’s so delicious. Get it along some Super Papas, Chicken Tacos and Cheese Enchiladas. Can’t go wrong!
- Basecamp Pizza (DF Patio): Delicious pizza in Heavenly Village with a DOg Friendly Patio that is usually heated and covered! I haven’t had a pizza I didn’t like here and I especially love the live music they have going most of the time. Try the Garlic Chips, the Gouda Mac and Cheese and really any of their amazing pizzas!
- The Brewery at Lake Tahoe (DF Patio): If you are looking for a good beer and to escape the hoards of skis and poles, head down to the Lake Tahoe Brewery. There’s nothing incredibly special but they do beer and bar food well. Make sure you don’t leave without a “Keep Tahoe Brew” sticker!
- Fire and Ice: This is the first place my husband and I went in Tahoe! It is sooooo fun! I am a huge fan of the “Build Your Own” concept at this interactive Grill. You grab a bowl, pick your own items from veggies, proteins and starches as well as a ton of sauces and spices, then bring it to the massive grill in the middle and watch the chefs cook your food while flipping, twisting, turning and tossing! It’s such a fun date night! NOTE: They have a dog friendly patio where you can get drinks and food, BUT it’s not the same food as inside so just be aware!
- Heavenly Village: I truly suggest stopping into each of the cute little boutiques as you walk around. There’s so many adorable and local finds! My favorites are definitely Little Blue House (CUTEST family pajamas!) and Earthbound Trading Co. (Clothing, Accessories and Décor from all over the world!)
- Make sure to also visit all the galleries. You will find the most gorgeous photos of Tahoe!
Have you ever been to Lake Tahoe? Are you more of a Summer of Winter kind of person?